Emma Episode 3 and Pride and Prejudice Question 21

Finally caught up with Emma on the BBC iplayer, and I have to say I really enjoyed this episode. I confess that Emma grows on me. Now that I know where Welch is going with it, I rather like it.

(from Shootastic)
Much as I loved the previous versions of Emma, Garai's makes the most sense. It explains why she's so much into matchmaking: tied down to her father and his ailments, unable to travel and see the world, having few young people in Highbury to associate with. This is most definitely an aspect of Emma that is brought to light. The fact that she is childish and in need of guidance, too. In the past, I always wondered what she saw in Knightly (sorry, Knightly fans). But now I can see that she does need someone to keep her in check, and Knightly is perfect for her. The romance blossoms, by the way, and Knightly redeems himself as a hero.

I also loved the dancing. This is the first time I've actually seen the illustrations of Regency dancing put into practice, and I was delighted at the active and energetic dancing that they do. Now you can see why Mr Darcy disapproves of dancing, and why Knightly hesitates to dance. I had a sudden flashback to a scene in The Sound of Music (if any of have seen it) where Maria and Captain von Trapp are dancing a traditional Austrian dance, and they use the same dance move. Which makes sense. I have read about the waltz at the time being very little like our modern version of it, but this finally puts things in perspective.

A very nice scene, even if they don't say the right words. There's no conversation here about being brother and sister. It does come up later,  though, when Emma talks about him being an older brother. However, there is the GAZE, and it's very well done indeed! This is the first production I've seen that succeeds in bringing out the romance.

I'm very happy the whole thing is coming together.

Now for my daily question.

Pride and Prejudice Question 21

There’s been a lot of discussion of the “gaze” scenes in P and P 1995, the scenes in which Elizabeth and Darcy exchange glances. Which is your favourite gaze scene and why?

Comments

  1. It has to be the scene in Rosings with Elizabeth at the piano (McFadyen version). She has just told Mr. Darcy that he should practice conversing with people he has just met. Darcy turns away and then back to gaze at Elizabeth. He looks so sad. I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm recovering from a nasty flu, so I'm going to barrel in first and take an easy one. I love the scene where Caroline asks Elizabeth to "take a turn about the room." This may not EXACTLY be a scene where Darcy and Elizabeth exchange glances, but I love it because Austen takes what could be a ho-hum scene of women being gazed at and reverses the power structure of it--if you believe that the gazer is the one with the power.

    When Caroline invites Darcy to join them, he refuses, saying that their only purpose could be that they have "secret affairs to discuss" or that they "are conscious that your figures appear to their greatest advantage in walking," and he'll either be in their way if it's the first, or he can "admire you much better" if he stays where he is. Maybe he originally meant to flirt with Caroline, but it has to be shocking to Elizabeth to have someone who originally dismissed her looks comment that he's now admiring them. This exchange should give Darcy the upper hand--Caroline is pleasantly flustered by it, after all. But unflappable Elizabeth barely seems to notice--she turns the conversation around and zeroes in on how they can get back at Darcy and reverse who has the advantage--laugh at him. She's not softened at all by his compliment, nor is her wit.

    And in the end, Darcy is the one who "began to feel the danger of paying Elizabeth too much attention."

    Longest. Answer. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, this was a film question. Sorry, Monica! My head is obviously too stuffy to work properly today....

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great answer anyway, Tracygrrrl. Hope you get better quickly. Not the unmentionable flu, I hope?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I am very impatient to see this latest Emma now!

    Now I want to go watch the 95 P&P just so I can pick my favorite! See what a bad influence you are? ;) I guess it would have to be when Elizabeth is at Pemberly and goes to help Georgiana after Caroline's comment and then she and Mr. Darcy share a look. As for why, I don't know. Probably just the way the whole tone of everything has started changing and you start to have hope for them (which of course gets a lovely wrench thrown in soon, but for now...), I guess. It's just one of those silly, girly, happy-bubbly-internal giggle moments I guess. I can't help but smile at that look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with kt. My absolute favorite scene is that one - - the gaze that Colin Firth as Darcy gives Elizabeth is so full of respect, admiration, joy and love, my heart practically hurts from watching it. For me, that was the absolute turning point in their relationshp, where both of them realized the wonderful attributes the other had and they both saw the other in a completely new light.

    Awwww, this makes me want to run home and pop in my DVD!

    ReplyDelete
  7. While I love the "piano" scene exchange of gazes, I also like the exchange when Darcy offers his hand to Elizabeth to help her into the carriage as the party leaves Pemberley on her first visit with her aunt and uncle; she seems all most hesitant and then as the carriage is leaving and he's standing watching them leave, she turns and looks back. Perhaps he's NOT so bad after all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with kt and Lori. I love that gaze too. I also have thought of that as the turning point of their relationship. Darcy seems so pleased that Elizabeth is helping his sister, and he really softens as a man. He appears to be a kind hearted and not the stuck up, haughty person Elizabeth always believed him to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BTW - I can't wait for this version of Emma to hit the States on PBS this spring. Your review of it is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely the scene where Georgiana is playing the piano and Caroline Bingley makes the comment about Mr. Wickham and Georgiana is about to be upset and Elizabeth smoothes it over. The gaze they share after that is AMAZING because the way Mr. Darcy is smiling at her is like the first time you see that he really does love her. And then he's all frustrated because he loves her and he doesn't think she loves him. Oh, it's a wonderful thing. I love Pride and Prejudice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I THINK it might be the dreaded flu, but the doctors here won't confirm or deny--I think they don't want to start a panic. : P

    ReplyDelete
  12. The one when Darcy looks at Elizabeth when she is playing piano with Georgiana. In my dreams so guy looks at me like that. It just makes my whole body melt and I get shivers, Colin Firth just looks so GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  13. (Tracygrrrl -- hope you're better!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meaning of a Jane Austen Quotation

Jane Austen's Emma airs tonight! Plus P&P Question-a-Day 4

Of Flawed Perceptions, and Pride and Prejudice Question 9