A Unexpected Encounter with a Victorian Gentleman

MordenHallDarcy
Sometimes a visit to a park can have unexpected consequences. So imagine my surprise when I went to an Apple Day at Morden Hall Park and – quite literally – bumped into an exceedingly fashionable young gentleman! My mind reeled as I tried to work out if he was real or the ghost of Mr.Gilliat Hatfeild, owner of the Park in the 1800s. Then my young daughter shouted out “Mr. Darcy! Take a picture, quick!” and I am happy to say I obeyed.

Morden Hall does have an intriguing history. It’s a National Trust property that used to be a former snuff mill, complete with waterwheel, picturesque canals and a mulberry tree that reportedly was planted by Huguenots. I won’t go into it now, but I promise a future episode on this lovely historical park.

Isn't he a handsome specimen? It just shows. You never know when (or where) you could run into your Mr. Darcy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meaning of a Jane Austen Quotation

Jane Austen's Emma airs tonight! Plus P&P Question-a-Day 4

Of Flawed Perceptions, and Pride and Prejudice Question 9